I've written my first blog with Wordpress. I'd consider that a mistake today. Here are my reasons why:
- Hosting costs are annoying
- No full control
- Migration away is not that easy
- It's not as much fun as programming something yourself
- No more "Error database connection could not be established" where your whole blog goes down...
- It's a bit bloated, which is bad for SEO
Since then I've switched to using the AMP framework together with the mustache templating engine.
Rolling your own blog isn't that hard. All you need to do is throwing together some HTML files and then throw them at AWS Cloudfront! You'll have a ultra cheap, ultra fast, ultra scalable in no-time!
You can always check out the code of this website here: https://github.com/bersling/tsmean-amp in case you'd like to build something similar.